At the Edge of the Grave (x12.y0)

Contributor: BinaryAgent

I was up in a flash, tire iron ready. My flashlight was clutched in the other hand, but I didn't turn it on – not yet. The girl was up too. She clutched a short camping shovel with both hands like a bat. I glanced over a short piece of plywood wall that separated the area of the warehouse we were in from the back. A window had been shattered, but the rest of the space was empty from what I could see.


Those monsters don't hide. If they'd smashed the window, they'd have been clawing to get in. I flicked on my light. The beam fell on a hefty rock surrounded by broken glass from the window. Definitely not monsters. I heard movement outside. I clicked the light off. Two stout glass bottles flew through the broken window, flames sparking from rags stuffed into their mouths. I dove backward, knocking the girl down. As we scrambled behind a pile of rubble, I heard the glass shatter. There was a loud roar as the flames came to life and we were blasted by a wave of heat. As the flames licked the walls of the old building we ran for the door. We escaped into the gray twilight while the whoosh of flames crackling filled our ears.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home



- - -


Help keep Fractal Novels alive! Visit our sponsors! :)



- - -

FRACTAL * NOVELS

A collaborative art project where the stories are free to move along their own paths. Come join us and show us where your story takes you!

    Thunderune Network:

    TTC

    Weirdyear Daily FictionYesteryear Daily FictionClassics that don't suck!Art expressed communally.Von Singer Aether and Steamworks.Resource for spiritual eclectics and independents.Pyrography on reclaimed woodSmashed Cat MagazineLinguistic ErosionYesteryear Daily FictionFarther Stars Than These

    Support independent writers! Take a look at our sponsors! :)


Recent Comments